These references outline some of the issues surrounding test development, student and teacher experience, and using student test scores to rank teachers and schools . . . and how we can advocate for improvements.
Testing Culture: A Community Conversation
A NC Families for School Testing Reform event 5-6-2019
Teachers, parents, education specialists, community leaders, and elected officials meet to discuss public school testing
Do you know of something we should add to our list? Send us your suggestions:
Don’t forget to check back here as the list will be updated.
NC Families for School Testing Reform talks about how the organization was formed, the problems of school testing , and how we are defining our mission…
- The Death and Life Of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch
- Color and Character: West Charlotte High and The American Struggle For Education Equality by Pamela Grundy
- Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America’s Public Schools by Diane Ravitch
- More Than A Score: The New Uprising Against High Stakes Testing edited by Jesse Hagopian
- The Testing Charade: Pretending To Make Schools Better by Daniel Koretz
- Senate Majority Passes Legislation To Prioritize Students’ Education Over High-Stakes Testing (New York) 1-23-2019
- Are NC students tested too much in school? Some legislators think so — and want to change that. Raleigh News & Observer 3-22-2019
- 5/7/14 Read To Achieve Is A Path To Failure byJanna Siegel Robertson and Pamela Grundy.
- 2/4/15 Moving Beyond Test And Punishment Op-Ed by Janna Siegel Robertson and Pamela Grundy.
- 5/31/18 Cover the ABCs. Silence the kids. Test time in NC can be intense, teachers say. Charlotte Observer
1/16/2019 Testing in NC schools could get less stressful. Changes in exam rules are coming. News & Observer
- Diane Ravitch – a researcher and leader in educational testing reform
- 4/1/18 A Case For More Grammar Instruction In Schools (And Less Standardized Testing) on CaffeinatedRage.com
- 5/20/18 Every NC Lawmaker Should Be A Proctor For A State Exam on CaffeinatedRage.com
- 5/29/2018 Contrary To What The NCGA Has In Their Budget, Bonus Pay Does Not Work on CaffeinatedRage.com
- Standardized Testing by Last Week Tonight With John Oliver 5/3/15
INFORMATION for North Carolina Public Schools
How much testing is taking place in North Carolina schools at grades K-12? An analysis of federal, state, and local required assessments …. Report on School Testing in North Carolina 2014